In the late 1940’s, the clubhouse underwent extensive repairs and alterations, including the addition of the present bar and patio terrace. In this period of the club’s history, flying was the primary concern, with annual regattas being a regular feature for club members and their guests. It was also at this time, that non-flying members began assuming a more active role in the club’s operations.
In late 1998, the focus once again turned to update the facility as another series of repairs and renovations began starting with the kitchen facility and continuing on to the entry foyer, front dining room, boardroom, third-floor residence, and bar. The AOPA graciously financed the renovations of the Club’s Boardroom, while several other members personally financed the other work. As the Club approaches its eighty-fifth anniversary, we sport a happy mixture of both flying and non-flying members, many of whom have established a distinct fondness for both the uniqueness and history that surround the Philadelphia Aviation Country Club. Read AOPA’s full history here.
Five prominent Philadelphia aviators, members of the Philadelphia Aviation Country Club, working with aviation activist Joseph B. (Doc) Hartranft, Jr. Founded the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA)