History of the Club:
The Philadelphia Aviation Country Club was founded in March of 1931 by a group of local residents, all of who were prominent in aviation circles. The original clubhouse, which is still in use, was converted from an old farm dwelling. It became the home of PACC when the Wings Corporation of Camden, New Jersey purchased the entire farm and converted it into an airport.
In 1939, the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) was founded at the Club. Today, the organization boasts some 360,000 members nationwide. Also during the 1930’s there were a number of associated aviation clubs in other cities, such as Los Angeles, California, Hicksville, New York and Cleveland, Ohio. Reciprocal privileges were extended to club members and it was originally anticipated that the idea of associated clubs should expand to the rest of the country. These plans were interrupted by the advent of WWII, which severely curtailed civil aviation. During the war, a restricted zone was established along the eastern seaboard, which limited all flights except those for defense purposes. The clubhouse was used in the latter part of the war for aviation ground school and navigation classes.
In the late 1940’s, the clubhouse underwent extensive repairs and alterations, including the addition of the present bar and patio terrace. In this period of the club’s history, flying was the primary concern, with annual regattas being a regular feature for club members and their guests. It was also at this time, that non flying members began assuming a more active role in the club’s operations.
In late 1998, the focus once again turned to updating the facility as another series of repairs and renovations began starting with the kitchen facility and continuing on to the entry foyer, front dining room, boardroom, third floor residence, and bar. The AOPA graciously financed the renovations of the Club’s Boardroom, while several other members personally financed the other work. We sport a happy mixture of both flying and non flying members, many of whom has established a distinct fondness for both the uniqueness and history that surround the Philadelphia Aviation Country Club.
Hours of Operation
- Lunch: Due to staffing shortages the club is temporarily closed for lunch.
- Dinner: Tuesday-Saturday 5:30-9 reservations only.
Smoking is not permitted inside the clubhouse.
Appropriate dress should be exhibited at all times. The former jacket requirements in the main dining room outlived its time. Our dress policy is now “smart casual”. We trust the membership will continue to frequent the Club with a fitting wardrobe.
Pool & Tennis Rules
Members are permitted a maximum of three guests when using either the pool or tennis court. Guests must be accompanied by a member.
Cell Phone Etiquette
Due to the explosive growth of cellular phone users, the Board of Governors has asked the members and their guest to be both thoughtful and courteous when entering the Club with a cell phone. A ringing telephone at a neighboring table can act as a disruption, and may be intrusive to others. Please be considerate to those in your surrounding by placing your phone in the vibration mode. Should your phone not include this option, please set the volume of the ringer to a minimum level. We trust each member sees the wisdom in attempting to maintain a pleasing atmosphere within the dining areas. Unlike several other private clubs and a few public restaurants, we are trying to avoid an outright ban of these devices.
The clubhouse is available for private parties, business meetings, and other events. Please contact the General Manager (215) 646-3034 for specifics. Takeout food is available. Also the Club occasionally caters lunches to several businesses in the surrounding areas.